Can Tenants Get Compensation for Damp and Mould?

The DIY Fix is reader supported. When you buy after clicking a link on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

In recent years, there has been a increase of damp and mould reported in rental properties throughout the UK.

A tenant renting from a landlord, has certain rights. One of these rights, is the landlord should ensure the home is in a good state of repair.

One of the most common areas neglected by landlords, is repairing issues with damp and mould.

Based on a recent survey by consumer charity Which, more than 20% of rental properties in the UK suffer with mould.

However, what most tenants don’t realise, is they may be entitled to compensation.

Whether you are suffering with health issues, or damage to your personal property. Both can mean you are entitled to compensation.

You may also be eligible, if you have suffered with mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety caused by damp and mould.

Finding out if you are due compensation, is extremely easy.

Simply click the link below for a free, instant online descision

To find out if you are entitled to compensation Click here now!

How much can your claim be worth?

The amount you are eligible to claim will be based on several factors. Firstly, you could claim back a percentage of your rent. This would include rent paid since the problem started. The amount claimed back is usually between 25-50%.

The average claim for rent due to disrepair caused by damp and mould ranges from £2300 – £5400

Secondly, if you have damage to your personal property caused by damp and mould, this can also be claimed for. The amount will be based on the value of your damaged possessions.

And finally, any illness caused by damp and mould can be subject to compensation. Below you can see a list of health conditions and the average pay-out brackets.

· Mild Asthma – This includes new illness and the worsening of existing conditions – £10,640 to £19,200.

· Severe chronic asthma – Difficulty breathing, persistent coughing and inability to enjoy work and social life – £26,290 to £65,740

· Bronchitis and wheezing – This is common and can have a detrimental effect on work and social life – £20,800 to £31,310

· Dermatitis – Causing cracking and soreness to the hands causing significant discomfort – £8,640 to £19,200.

· Mould poisoning – illness and discomfort that requires hospital admission, or frequent visits to your GP – £3,950 to £9,540.

As you can see there are several factors that can affect the claim and the amount of compensation.

To find out how much you could claim Click here now!

Can your landlord evict you if you claim from damp and mould issues?

It would be illegal for your landlord to evict you for making a claim.

As a landlord, they have a duty of care to you (the tenant). As such, they cannot evict you for a problem they have created.

The only way your landlord can evict you, is with a valid reason. This would be based on the terms in your rental agreement.

Even if you have broken your tenancy agreement, they must still give you the notice. This is the amount required by law and anything set out in your agreement.

Basically, your claim will not affect your current tenancy agreement. The landlord cannot terminate your contract because of it.

To find out if you are eligible to claim compensation for damp and mould click the link below.

The process only takes a couple of minutes. Once complete, you will find out if you qualify. As well as rough estimate of how much your claim is worth.

Click here to see how much your claim is worth